Two experienced commercial tour rowing organisations; Row England and Rowing The World, have partnered up with Flushing & Mylor Gig Club to promote the world’s first commercial Gig Tour.
An Ideal Partnership…
Row England specialises in fixed seat touring on The Thames and runs bespoke fixed seat tours on other waterways, while Rowing The World is the world’s leading international rowing touring company, with a focus on experienced sliding seat club rowers:
Jan Holloway from Row England says..
‘We chose Falmouth Harbour because – with people from all over the world committing to arranging flights and holiday schedules – we wanted to be sure we could get out in most conditions. As well as being extremely beautiful and historic, Falmouth Harbour is well protected’
The partnership got in touch with Dave Mathews who is the Chairman of Flushing & Mylor Pilot Gig Club, who were able to provide gigs and expertise. Jan Holloway again: ‘We were delighted with the welcoming response from the club. For these tours to be a success, we need the support of the club in practical terms, but also socially – Tour guests love local colour and to feel part of an experience’
The future of Gig Touring
While this first tour will be a learning experience for both the Commercial tour operators and Flushing & Mylor Club, the Partnership are hoping that the model works well and can be extended in the future.
The first tour is scheduled for Jun 17 and will run through to Friday June 22
- Max Group Size: Up to 10 guests in two gigs, non rowers can be accommodated
- Duration: 5 days rowing, 5 nights accommodation
- Price: GBP £1,420; USD $1,975; Euro €1,695; CDN $2,500. Non rower discount available
- Daily Distance: 10-15 Km. Weather and tides will affect distances, which will be planned each day with the tour group and boat captains. More rowing may be available with the local gig club.
The price includes:
- 5 nights accommodation in good hotels
- All breakfasts, lunches and five dinners
- Use of Cornish pilot gigs, including trailering and Safety boat support
- Guide services and tour support. We will be accompanied by a gig boat captain and experienced gig stroke
- Transportation during the tour; pick up from Newquay Airport or local train station on Sunday, return on Friday afternoon
- Cultural visits and outdoor activities
- Opportunities for participation in rowing and social activities with local gig club
Find out more
For more details of the 2018 Tour, or to find out more about the Row England and Rowing The World, visit www.rowengland.com or www.rowingtheworld.com
Jan Holloway, Managing Director, Row England Limited
Ruth Marr, Founder and President, Rowing The World™
Full details can be found in the Fact Sheet Attached: Falmouth Fact Sheet_V1