This Saturday sees the running of two river races. As at 3pm today (Fri 14th) both have been confirmed as ON.
One organised by Helford River Gig Club is their handicapped Head of the River Race, launching from the Ferryboat Inn and racing up to Gweek.
- 11:00 – HRGC members to launch our gigs at Helford Passage
- 11:30 – 14:30 – Arrival and launch of visiting gigs at Helford Passage
- 14:45 – Coxes’ Meeting at Helford Passage
- 15:15 – Row to start line
- 16:00 – Start of the Race
- Race duration – approx 45 minutes
- 16:45 – 18:30 – Extract gigs at Gweek
- 17:30 – Food & bar open at clubhouse (Gweek)
- 18:30 – Prize-giving at clubhouse
- 19:00 – Live music
Meanwhile, further north, there will be Cotehele Quay’s Tamar Challenge. The race starts at Saltash. Trailers then need to be taken to the end of the course at Cotehele.
- 11.30am – Gigs to arrive at Saltash by 11.30am
- 12.00 noon – coxes meeting on the public slipway
- 13.00 – Race starts.
When travelling to Cotehele with trailers/gigs, please follow directions from the A390 at St Anne’s Chapel, and no other routes. Parking for trailers and cars is available FOC in the coach car park at Cotehele House. There will be a Marshall to guide you. If you choose to park your car down at the Quay car park, there is a charge of £3.
Clubs rowing down from Cotehele in the morning, please allow plenty of time. We will be leaving at 9am from the Quay, and will assist with lifts as needed for the short distance between the coach park and the Quay.
There will be food and drinks available at the end of the race.
Cotehele members will tow trailers down to the Quay from the coach park, after the presentation, as the lanes around the Cotehele estate are narrow and busy with NT visitors. Please be patient, and enjoy the day.
Photo above courtesy of Sarah Flockton from last year’s Tamar Challenge