It seems like we are facing another record-breaking year for entries at the World Pilot Gig Rowing Championships on Scilly. We have already heard of more clubs than ever looking to borrow wooden gigs to take part in 2016. We seem to be reaching a point where some crews are just going to be disappointed and won’t be able to race.
Is that a huge shame? Or just an inevitable consequence of the success of the event? Should entry numbers be restricted anyway? Should there be a limit on the numbers of gigs allowed from any one club? Should boat borrowing be encouraged, banned or have stricter controls?
Let us know what you think.
The following clubs are currently looking to borrow any spare gigs for next year’s Championships. Please get in touch with them if you can help. We list them here in the order in which they asked for our help.
- Gloucester, USA – Contact Michael via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bermuda – Contact Steve via email@example.com
- Torridge – Contact Angie via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lyme Regis (Mens) – Contact via email@example.com
- Cattewater (Ladies) – Contact Helen Watson via Facebook
- Brixham Gig Club – Contact via firstname.lastname@example.org