Sunday 3rd March kicks off the 2013 gig rowing race season in style with 57 (at time of writing) gigs entered into Caradon Gig Club’s 3 Rivers Race. This is the highest ever entry number in what is proving to be one of the most popular events on the circuit.
With such a large fleet, it’s going to be crucial that crews and coxes are on the ball in the pre-start period. There may also be a need to alter the course slightly from previous years so please pay special attention at the coxes meeting.
Last year’s high winds are thankfully not predicted at the moment!
Follow updates on the day from the GigRower team via : https://twitter.com/_gigrower
From Caradon Gig Club :
UPDATE 26/Feb/2013 – Can any clubs deliver gigs on Saturday? As there are approx 57 gigs to launch, if any club can drop their gigs off on Saturday, Caradon club members will launch them early Sunday morning before the rest arrive to try and ease congestion on the slipways. If any club is able to help in this regard please let Caradon Gig Club know and they will advise where to deliver them to.
** ALL CREWS MUST LINE UP IN THEIR CORRECT HEAT / BERTH AND FOLLOW THE STARTERS INSTRUCTIONS **
- All races will be run under CPGA rules and all gigs must carry a working VHF radio. The races will be started over the radio.
- Please can Clubs within an hours driving distance arrive with their gigs as soon as possible. Gigs from further afield must arrive by 8.15 a.m. latest. All gigs can be unloaded from both the Brunel slipway and the slipway opposite the Boatman Pub.
- All Clubs must register on arrival and before the Coxes Meeting. A registration desk will be set up in the Sailing Club.
- Coxes meeting will take place at 8.45 a.m.
- The Ladies race will start at 9.30 a.m. There will be four heats set off at approx 2 min intervals. Every crew will be given a heat and berth, which must be adhered to.
- Mens race will start at appox 11.00 a.m. There will be four heats set off at approx 2 min intervals. Every crew will be given a heat and berth, which must be adhered to.
- Please remember that all timings are attached to the gig not the club.
- All crews must warm up the lower side of the bridge i.e. Sailing Club side, until called, by radio, to the start line.
- Due to the number of gigs attending on the day, can we please ask that you label all of your trailers with the name of the gig and your club name, so that it is clearly visible, in order to make retrieval of your trailer after racing as easy as possible.
- There are still yachts stored in the Sailing Club car park for winter maintenance, please could we ask all rowers to take care not to hit the hulls of the yachts with their oars as they walk past. Thank you.
- The presentation will take place in the Sailing Club following the racing, where food and drink will be available.
To those towing for the first time you’re looking to get under the bridges and aim for Old Ferry Road. Keep going towards the bridges!
View Larger Map
Berth sheet (as of 11am on 26/2/2013. Please check your berth on the day in case there are amendments!) :
|Sun 3 Mar|
|1.1 m||5.2 m||1.3 m||5.1 m|