Each month we are going to be doing ‘Featured Gig Club’ post and this month it’s Cardon, thank you to Leanne Kent for the following answers.
Caradon Gig Club
Caradon Pilot Gig Club
Clubhouse/Gig Shed location
Saltash Sailing Club, Waterside, Saltash
Gigs Currently owned
Ann Glanville, Mary Newman, Millers Daughter, Essa
Dates they were built and builders:
Ann Glanville (1990) Ralph Bird
Mary Newman (1996) Dave & Jim Currah
Millers Daughter (2003) Dave Currah
Essa (2009/10) Maurice & Louis Hunkin
Any other history about the boats:
Recently sold ‘Amelia Lee’ (originally called Storm when we brought her from Mounts Bay in 2002), to Paignton Gig Club. We have kept the name ‘Amelia Lee’, so i believe Paignton will be renaming her.
Number of Club Members:
Steve Kent, Nigel Churcher, Linda Kent
When was the club started:
How has the club progressed since then:
Since the club was first established we have gone from strength to strength, both in results and size. This year we will be sending 4 mens crews and 3 ladies crews to the world championships, as well as 2 mens vets crews and 1 ladies vets crew, the biggest entry we have made as a Club.
We have gradually, over the years, raised monies to enable to us to commission the building of new gigs (the newest being ‘Essa’ due to be launched on Sat 13th February 2010), to ensure that we remain competitive in the sport.
Best ever results in the Worlds:
- Mens A – world champions 1995 – 2001, 2nd 2002, world champions 2003 – 2007, 2nd 2009.
- Ladies A – 3rd place 2005, 2006, 2007
- Mens Vets – World champions 2001, 2005 and 2008
Any other notable achievements:
- Mens A – County Champions 1991,1994,1995,1997,1999,2000,2001, 2nd 2002, Champions 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 & 2009, 3rd 2008.
- Ladies A – 2nd place county championships 2000 & 2001, 2007 & 2008, 3rd place 2002, 2003, 2006 &2009.
- Mens Vets county champions 2001, 2005, 2008
- Mixed Vets County Champions – 2007, 2008 & 2009
- Juniors County Champions 1991
Any annual events you organise:
CPGA Mixed and Veterans Championships & Three Rivers
Do you have a juniors section:
How do you select your racing crews:
We look at rowing technique, fitness, strength, availability and committment to the Club.
What month do you select your teams for Scilly:
Club website address:
Contact for newcomers:
Steve Kent – 01752 842235
Anything else you think we should know about your club:
Due to launch our new gig ‘Essa’ built by Maurice and Louis Hunkin of Fowey, on Saturday 13th February at 3 p.m. at Ashtorre Rock, Saltash. Followed by drinks and buffet in the Sailing Club.